I was delighted to receive the Garmin Forerunner 210 as a Christmas gift. I have wanted a GPS watch for many months now, and after using it for a week I have made a few observations about the watches functionality.
The Garmin Forerunner 210 offers all the features of my current “dumb watch,” plus it has the added ability to lock onto a satellite for outdoor use.
After logging only three activities (two outdoor, one indoor) I have noted the positives — of which there are many — and negatives of the Garmin Forerunner 210 GPS watch.
- Incredibly accurate location tracking.
- Good battery life.
- Watch design is attractive and it’s not too tall on the wrist. It’s comfortable and proportional.
- Garmin Connect platform is a great tool for archiving workouts.
- Watch is lightweight and inconspicuous.
- At $200 dollars, the price is fair (foot pod and heart rate monitor sold separately).
- Not all features of the UI are obvious. e.g. How to delete an activity was initially unclear.
- No wireless syncing with Garmin Connect. (I knew this connectivity did not exist before purchasing.)
I decided the Garmin Forerunner 210 was the right watch for me due to it’s light build and full range of features, without getting too technical. It offers accurate and consistent GPS tracking for the duration of a workout and it’s not a brick, like some watches in the Garmin family. The price is a great value at $200 dollars (foot pod and heart rate monitor sold separately).
Before using the Garmin Forerunner 210, I was, and still am, a dedicate Runkeeper user. For me, RunKeeper offers everything I need. The only downside is that, with RunKeeper, I need to carry my phone with me in an armband. Whereas, with the Garmin Forerunner 210, I don’t need to carry around extra weight.
Conclusion: I will continue to use RunKeeper and the Garmin Forerunner 210 consecutively. I think my Garmin Forerunner 210 will be most handy when I don’t want to carry around the extra weight from my phone during workouts and especially races.
Learn more about the Garmin Forerunner 210.