Edin is the WordPress theme this blog uses.
It’s a clean, responsive, professional-looking theme and I’m so happy I installed it. There are, however, a few features the developer is not very clear on how to implement. One of them being how to setup the social container in the footer—it’s a custom menu that displays links to your social media accounts as icons.
When done properly, Edin will display your social media links as icons. It looks really nice and is a great addition to the footer of your website.
It took me a little while to figure out how to create the custom menu, but after some digging around in the theme demo source code, I figured it out. Follow the steps below to add the social container to your Edin theme-enabled WordPress blog.
1. Go to the “Menus” page in the WordPress admin dashboard via the Appearance tab.
2. Create a new menu. For social links to appear as icons, it’s imperative that you name the custom menu “social container”.
3. The social container will go in the footer of your blog, so make sure to check the “Footer Menu” radio button for the menu’s location.
4. Start adding custom links to the footer menu you just created. e.g. facebook.com/yourname; twitter.com/yourname
5. You can drag and drop links to rearrange them once they’ve been added. When you finish adding links, save the menu.
6. Finally, visit your blog’s footer and check out your cool looking social link icons! Note: Not all social media websites are supported, such as Vine.
Thanks for reading. Happy blogging!